San Mauro Pascoli is a small village situated just in the heart of the hinterland from Romagna which bears witness to an extraordinary litery story, since it is the homeland of the great poet Giovanni Pascoli.
Here Pascolis parents got married. The poet spent his childhood together with his numerous brothers amidst farmyards, courtyards, animals and genuine rural traditions. After visiting the village, you will have the possibility to explore the nearby rural possessions of the Torlonia family, which were once administrated by Pascoli's father Ruggero, in order to admire the so-called Torre (tower) where Giovanni Pascoli improved his poetic style.
On August 10, 1867 Pascoli saw his faithful Cavallina storna (dappled-grey horse) taking his father home, being killed during an ambush while coming back from San Lorenzos fair.
The family was forced to leave the Torlonias farm and go back to their native house situated in the centre of the village. In 1947, their house was appointed historic heritage and safeguarded properly as a characteristic and rare example of Villa Romagnola dating back to the XVII-XVIII centuries: not to be missed are the plan of the main building and the eigthteenth-century front gate.
The tower rises just next to the main entrance and is flanked by the old farmers house, that was used as warehouse, and a well-preserved nineteenth-century church. The Pascoli family lived in the upper floor. Originally, the complex was part of the ancient Roman Giovedia, that in 1261 turned into a feud of the Malatesta family.
At the beginning of the XIXth century, the building was bought by Alezzandro Torlonia, who turned it into one of the biggest and most beautiful estates of Romagna. The Tower became an exemplar farm. Today, it can be only visited from the outside.
The next stop of the itinerary across Pascolis story takes us back into the village: here rises Casa Pascoli, today a National Monument. Giovanni was born on December 31, 1855 and spent the first years of his life here.The family came back to live here after the death of the father.
At the end of World War II only the kitchen was undamaged: it was rebuilt according to the original architectural style and transformed into a little domestic museum. Besides the kitchen, not to be missed are the study, which gathers rare editions of Pascoli's works, autograph letters, diplomas and portraits, and the bedroom, which still cherishes an ancient wooden cot.
Outside are the tree-lined garden the poet often mentioned and his bronze bust. San Mauro's cemetery cherishes the Mausoleum of the Pascoli Family, where the members of the family are buried, while the poet and his sister Maria are buried in Castelvecchio Barga (Lu).
The last stop is the Cappella della Madonna dellAcqua, a little ancient chuch (1616) which was very appreciated by Giovanni and his mother. How to reach it: from Forlí (36 km), take SS9 to Savignano-San Mauro Pascoli.